Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Book Reading #29: Opening Skinner's Box

Title:
Chapter 8: Lost in the Mall

Summary:
This chapter discusses Elizabeth Loftus and her experiments with memory.  Her experiments are about how easy it is to plant a suggested memory into someones head, and have that form into a believed memory for that person.  Her one of her initial experiments consisted of 24 students who went home and implanted false memories in their sibling that they had been lost in a mall when they were younger.  When the siblings came into the lab later, 25 percent of them elaborated in detail of the time that they got lost in the mall, but never actually happened.

Discussion:
I thought that this was an interesting chapter.  As I read it, I thought about some of my memories, and realized that I had memories of things only after I heard the story fomr my family.  I feel bad for Loftus for all of the anger that was focused on her.  Unfortunately, it seems that often the important research and ideas get the most ridicule.

No comments:

Post a Comment