Sunday, March 20, 2011

Book Reading #8: The Design of Everyday Things

Title:
Chapter 3: Knowledge in the Head and in the World

Summary:
This chapter is about the difference of knowing something and having your brain fill in the blanks.  For example, there was a study done on professional typists. They were given capital letters and asked to place them in the appropriate positions on a keyboard.  interestingly, many of them could not place them in the proper positions.  This shows how that a lot of knowledge is not completely known, people use their surroundings to fill in the gaps.

Discussion:
I liked this chapter.  I thought that the fact the typists were not able to place the characters in the right positions was funny. I also thought the different pennies was interesting.  When I looked at them, I was unable to tell which one was the real one.  I wonder how many Americans would be able to identify the correct penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment